logo Sarpy County Nebraska

Sarpy County Nebraska


When permits are needed
What building codes are used

Where to get a permit
Permit Fees

How to contact us
Zoning districts

How long is a permit good
What zoning district am I in

When are permits needed?

1. Dwelling
2. Any finished area inside the home that was not finished as part of the originalĀ building permit. (e.g.; finished basement or and remodel work other than painting and flooring.
3. Accessory structures. (e.g.; garages, detached garages, pole barns, sheds, decks, fences, re-roofs, siding, swimming pools)
4. Any commercial building, commercial addition or alteration

Where do I go to get a permit?

First determine if you are in the Sarpy County jurisdiction.
Click here for map.

Outside any City Extra-Territorial Limits
Sarpy County Building Department
1210 Golden Gate Drive, #1240
Papillion, NE 68046
402 / 593-1555
Email Building Inspector

City of Bellevue
1510 Wall Street
Bellevue, NE 68005
402 / 293-3014

City of Gretna
204 N McKenna Av
Gretna, NE 68028
402 / 332-3336

City of La Vista
8110 Park View BLVD
La Vista, NE 68128
402 / 331-4343

City of Papillion
122 E 3rd St.
Papillion, NE 68046
402 / 597-2072

City of Springfield
170 N 3rd St.
Springfield, NE 68059
402 / 253-2204

How long is a permit good?

Sarpy County permits are valid for one (1) year from the date issued. Construction must begin within the first six (6) months.

What building codes are enforced in Sarpy County's Jurisdictions?

Sarpy County Building Codes (effective January 1, 2017)
2012 International Building Code w/ amendments
2012 International Residential Code w/ amendments
2012 International Plumbing Code
2012 International Mechanical Code
2012 International Fuel Gas Code
2009 International Energy Conservation Code
2014 National Electric Code

Copies of these codes are available to be viewed at the Sarpy County Building Department, but may not be removed from our department .

How are Permit Fees Calculated?

Please see Sarpy County Master Fee Schedule


What are the different zoning districts?

For a more descriptive explanation see the Planning Department web page.

AG Agricultural Farming District (20+ acres)
AGD Agricultural Development District (10+ acres)
AGR Agricultural Residential District (5+ acres)
RE2 Residential Estates (2+ acres)
RE1 Residential Estates (1+ acres)
RS-100 Single Family Residential District
RS-72 Single Family Residential District
RD-50 Two Family Residential District
RG-35 General Residential District
RG-25 General Residential District
RG-15 General Residential District
RG-10 General Residential District
RMH Manufactured Home Residential District
BN Neighborhood Convenience Business District
BG General Business District
BGH Heavy General Business District
BHS Highway Service Business District
IL Light Industrial District
ILM Light Manufacturing District
IGM General Manufacturing District
AP Airport District
AA Airport Approach Zone District
PD Planned Development District
PTD Planned Townhouse Development
FP Flood Plain District

What Zoning Type am I in?

Below is a list of subdivisions that are in Sarpy County Jurisdiction and the Zoning for the subdivision:

Subdivisions Zoned as Residential:

Ballena (Tiburon South) RS-72
Cedar Hollow RS-72
Cedar Ridge RS-72
Giles Ridge RS-72
Hansons Lake RD-50/FP
Harrison Woods RS-72, RD50PD & BG
Hawaiian Village RD-50/FP
Hickory Ridge RD-50
Lakeridge Estates RE1
Millard Park RS-72, RD-50PD & BG
Tiburon RS-100
Tiburon Patio Homes RD-50PD
Tiburon Pointe RD-50PD
Tiburon View RD-50PD
Tiburon Estates RD-50PD

Subdivisions Zoned as Commercial:

Commerce Business Centre IL
Highway Crossing IL
Hilltop Industrial Park IL
Lakeview South IL